When children are born to unmarried parents, a paternity (also known as a legitimation) action is often the best way to establish a legal relationship with the child and obtain parenting rights for the father as well as child support assistance for the custodial parent.

In our office, we help mothers, fathers, and other relatives file paternity actions. We also help fathers petition for legitimation, which enables them to ask the court for visitation and custody.